Skip to content

An Attentive Municipal Organization that Connects with Community, Commerce, and Nature.

North Aurora Brick Sign

Licenses, Registrations and Permits

The Administration Department is responsible for the issuance of licenses, registrations and permits for various business related items as well as special events.

Please contact Business and Administrative Services Manager Mike Toth at 630-897-8228 Ext. 229 or for any questions pertaining to these items, including additional paperwork, deadlines for submittal, etc. Various licenses, including liquor and tobacco, also require additional paperwork for background checks for the applicant.

Licenses / Registrations

Liquor License

Valid from March 1 – February 29
Application Form
Liquor Code

Tobacco License

Valid from June 1 – May 31
Application Form

Business Registration

Valid from January 1 – December 31
All businesses operating in North Aurora are required to annually submit a registration form and $50 registration fee. Please find all information relating to business registration for both new and existing businesses here.

Tattoo License

Valid from July 1 – June 30
All establishments that offer tattoo and piercing services must obtain an establishment license that is renewed each year. All operators must obtain an operator license that is valid for the duration of their time at the establishment.
Establishment Application Form
Establishment Renewal Form 
Operator Application Form

Other Licenses

If you operate a hotel/motel, waste hauling service or have video gaming on site at an applicable food establishment please contact Mike Toth at for further information.


Special Event Permits

Please read the following to determine what, if any, permit is required for your special event. If your event fits any of the below items please submit the special event permit application form to

5.70.020 Conditions and permits for outdoor special events requiring village board approval.

Village board approval is required for an outdoor special event permit on any property in the village for any planned outdoor event that involves the following:

A. Unless conducted as part of a block party approved by the police department, the closure of any public street, posting of “no parking” signs on public streets or blocking of any parking on public streets; or

B. Any event at which sound amplification equipment will be used:

      1. Sunday through Thursday before 10:00 a.m. and/or after 9:00 p.m.; or
      2. Friday and Saturday before 10:00 a.m. and/or after 10:00 p.m.

Permit applications for all outdoor special events that require village board approval shall be submitted to the village administrator for approval at the next regularly scheduled village board meeting only if submitted no later than the Monday before the next regularly scheduled board meeting. Special events hosted by the village shall not require an outdoor special event permit.

5.70.030 Conditions and permits for outdoor special events requiring village administrator approval.

Village administrator or designee approval is required for an outdoor special event permit on any property in the village for any planned outdoor event that involves the following:

  1. The use of any village property in a manner other than its intended use; or
  2. Any event held on a non-residential property where:
    1. The use of drive aisles would be used for purposes other than vehicle access; or
    2. Parking spaces would be used for purposes other than vehicle parking or be needed to accommodate special event guests at a proportional rate that may impact normal daily business use.

Permit applications for all outdoor special events that require village administrator approval shall be submitted to the village administrator or designee for approval typically no later than one week prior to the special event.


If your event will be using a tent or inflatable over 400 square feet you will need approval and inspection from the North Aurora Fire Protection District.

They may be contacted at:

North Aurora Fire District

2 Monroe Street
North Aurora, IL 60542
Phone: 630-897-9698


If you will be serving food at your event, all Kane County Health Department requirements must be met.

They may be contacted at:

Kane County Health Department

1240 North Highland Avenue
Aurora, IL 60506
Phone: 630-208-3801

Documents to be included with application:

  1. Special Event Permit Application Form (required)
  2. Hold Harmless Agreement (required)
  3. Certificate of Liability Insurance – Insurance coverage in the amount of $1,000,000 is required (dram shop insurance required for liquor permit)
  4. A copy of lease and written evidence of permission from property owner if event applicant does not own the property (if applicable)
  5. Special Event Special Use Temporary Liquor Permit(if applicable; needed for liquor)
  6. Fireworks Permit from North Aurora Fire Protection District (if applicable)

Other information:

All Special Event Permits must be approved by the Village of North Aurora board. The board meets on the first and third Mondays of each month and board agendas are finalized the previous Thursday. Please keep this timeline in mind when applying.

All Temporary Liquor Permits must be approved and signed by the Village President and Liquor Commissioner.


Having trouble opening PDFs? Download Adobe Reader here.

Village of North Aurora

Install Village of North Aurora

Install this application on your home screen for quick and easy access when you’re on the go.

Just tap then “Add to Home Screen”

Accessibility Toolbar