NORTH AURORA VILLAGE BOARD MEETING
VILLAGE BOARD MEETING MINUTES
MONDAY, March 15, 2021
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Village Board meeting was conducted live remotely
CALL TO ORDER
Mayor Gaffino called the meeting to order.
SILENT PRAYER – MEDITATION – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
In attendance: Mayor Mark Gaffino, Trustee Laura Curtis, Trustee Mike Lowery, Trustee Mark Guethle, Trustee Mark Carroll, Trustee Tao Martinez, Trustee Carolyn Salazar
Staff in attendance: Village Administrator Steve Bosco, Finance Director Bill Hannah, Community & Economic Development Director Mike Toth, Village Attorney Kevin Drendel, Public Works Director John Laskowski, Police Chief Dave Fisher.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS – None
TRUSTEE COMMENTS – None
1. Village Board Minutes dated 03/01/2021 and Committee of the Whole Minutes dated 03/01/2021
2. Bills List Dated 03/15/2021 in the Amount of $352,170.45
Motion for approval made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Curtis. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Guethle– yes, Trustee Curtis –yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Salazar – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
1. Approval of Ordinance Amending the North Aurora Code Section 5.08.350 To Increase the Number of Class B Liquor Licenses Authorized in the Village of North Aurora (Ma Maw’s Kitchen & Concessions)
New restaurant located at 227 S. Lincolnway.
Motion for approval made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Curtis. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Guethle –yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Salazar – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
2. Approval of an Ordinance Expanding Special Use to allow for the Expansion of a Microbrewery at 1059 Orchard Road in the B-2 General Business District, Village of North Aurora, Illinois (Brother Chimp Brewing)
Community & Economic Development Director Mike Toth explained that this Ordinance request will allow Brother Chimp Brewing Company to expand in to an adjacent space as well as add outdoor seating to the rear of the building. This Ordinance had come before the Committee of the Whole on February 15, 2021 and the public hearing was held by the Plan Commission on March 2, 2021 at which time the Plan Commission recommended approval.
Motion for approval made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Martinez. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Salazar –yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
3. Approval of Ordinance Approving the 1st Budget Amendment for Fiscal Year 2020-2021
Finance Director Bill Hannah stated that the amendment had been discussed at the March 1, 2021 Operations Committee meeting, in early 2020 preemptive adjustments had been made in light of the Covid pandemic to adjust vehicle and equipment transfers by 50%. This amendment would restore the transfers to 100% funding with an additional $200,000 for future purchases.
Director Hannah said that the second part of the amendment deals with the reduced transfer from the General Fund to the Capital Projects fund. In May of 2020 the proposed transfer amount was reduced from $600,000 to $200,000, staff is proposing that the amount now be increased from the current $200,000 to a maximum $2,500,000, which is an amount higher than proposed in the draft budget and allows for the possibility for revenue accrual to come back higher than anticipated and additional funds can be moved over to the Capital Projects fund in anticipation of the many Capital Projects expected to be proposed.
The final portion of the Amendment deals with closing the funds that are no longer in use/necessary.
Motion for approval made by Trustee Lowery and seconded by Trustee Martinez. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Curtis –yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Salazar – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
OLD BUSINESS – None
VILLAGE PRESIDENT – None
COMMITTEE REPORTS – None
TRUSTEES COMMENTS – None
ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – None
ATTORNEY’S REPORT – None
VILLAGE DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Finance – None
2. Community Development – Humane Pet Ordinance is being researched by staff and will come before the Board in the near future. The Plan Commission discussed floor area minimums at the March 2, 2021 meeting, stemming from the issues brought up with the Mooselake Estates discussion. Staff anticipates the discussion will come before the Board again as well.
3. Police – None
4. Public Works – None
EXECUTIVE SESSION – None
Motion to adjourn was made by Trustee Lowery and seconded by Trustee Salazar. All in favor. Motion approved.