VILLAGE OF NORTH AURORA
VILLAGE BOARD MEETING MINUTES
MAY 4, 2020
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Village Board meeting was conducted live remotely
CALL TO ORDER
Mayor Berman called the meeting to order.
SILENT PRAYER – MEDITATION – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
In attendance: Mayor Dale Berman, Trustee Mark Gaffino, Trustee Mike Lowery, Trustee Laura Curtis, Trustee Mark Carroll, Trustee Mark Guethle, Village Clerk Lori Murray. Not in attendance at roll call: Trustee Tao Martinez (arrived later in the meeting).
Staff in attendance: Village Administrator Steve Bosco, Finance Director Bill Hannah, Community & Economic Development Director Mike Toth, Public Works Direct John Laskowski, Police Chief Dave Fisher and Village Attorney Kevin Drendel.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS – None
TRUSTEE COMMENTS – None
1. Village Board Minutes dated 04/20/2020; Committee of the Whole Minutes dated 04/20/2020
2. Interim Bills List Dated 04/23/2020 in the Amount of $116,326.74
3. Interim Bills List Dated 04/29/2020 in the Amount of $1,251.19
4. Bills List Dated 05/04/2020 in the Amount of $237,793.35
5. Approval of Pay Request #4, Partial, for Well # 8 & 9 Electrical Facilities to Frank Marshall Electric in the Amount of $102,785.40
6. Approval of Resolution for the Fiscal Year 2020-21 Motor Fuel Tax (MFT) General Maintenance Program.
Motion made by Trustee Curtis and seconded by Trustee Gaffino. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Gaffino – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes. Motion approved (5-0).
1. Approval of Ordinance Approving Change to Simplified Telecommunications Tax
Village Administrator Steve Bosco stated that due to the significant effects of Covid-19 on the budget, the full 4% will be allocated to the General Fund. Normally 1% goes to the General Fund and 3% to the Capital Fund. Motion for approval made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Gaffino. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Guethle – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes. Motion approved (5-0).
2. Approval of Ordinance Adopting the Budget of the Village of North Aurora for the Fiscal
Year Beginning June 1, 2020 and Ending May 31, 2021
Motion for approval made by Trustee Gaffino and seconded by Trustee Carroll. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Gaffino – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Carroll –yes, Trustee Guethle – yes. Motion approved (5-0).
OLD BUSINESS – None
Mayor Berman stated that all of the mayors in the area are interested in getting the county up and running but in listening to what the governor has planned, there will be actions to think about before easing up on the restrictions. Berman said the entire state will not open at one time but that it will be done regionally. Mayor Berman added that we should see some change in the next couple weeks.
(Trustee Martinez arrived)
Trustee Carroll asked staff if there are any businesses in North Aurora, restaurants or retail that are closing permanently. Steve Bosco said he has not heard of any at this time. Trustee Carroll said that he hopes JCPenney is able to hold on. Carroll said he had heard they were struggling before the current situation and would not want to see them close, especially since they are one of the anchors in the town center.
COMMITTEE REPORTS – None
TRUSTEES’ COMMENTS – None
ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – None
ATTORNEY’S REPORT – None
VILLAGE DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Finance – Finance Director Bill Hannah stated that the village will be monitoring revenue and expenditure information and will bring the budget back for further discussion if needed.
2. Community Development – None
3. Police – None
4. Public Works – Public Works Director John Laskowski announced the virtual bid opening to be held tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. for the silo project.
EXECUTIVE SESSION – None
Motion to adjourn made by Trustee Curtis and seconded by Trustee Guethle. All in favor. Motion approved.
Lori J. Murray