Village Board Minutes
VILLAGE OF NORTH AURORA
VILLAGE BOARD MEETING MINUTES
JULY 6, 2020
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Village Board meeting was conducted live remotely
CALL TO ORDER
Mayor Berman called the meeting to order.
SILENT PRAYER - MEDITATION – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
In attendance: Mayor Dale Berman, Trustee Mark Gaffino, Trustee Mike Lowery, Trustee Laura Curtis, Trustee Mark Carroll, Trustee Tao Martinez, Trustee Mark Guethle, Village Clerk Lori Murray.
Staff in attendance: Village Administrator Steve Bosco, Finance Director Bill Hannah, Community & Economic Development Director Mike Toth, Public Works Director, John Laskowski, Police Chief Dave Fisher, Village Attorney Kevin Drendel.
Jennifer Becker of North Aurora voiced her opposition to 3 parts of the mobile vending ordinance by noting the following:
1. There are no restrictions on the food trucks from using private property that is located in a residentially zoned area. Therefore, the mobile food vendors have an unfair and inherent advantage to the brick and mortar establishments that are restricted to the commercial areas. Becker stated that neighborhood restaurants need the village’s support due to the current pandemic. Becker said she would like to see a ban on mobile food vending sales in residential areas. Language could be added to the ordinance requiring food truck vendors to operate at a specific distance from nearby homes. Becker said that the ordinance restricts the same vendor from selling in an area no more than once a week. However does not restrict the same property from hosting multiple different vendors throughout the week or simultaneously as a food truck rally. Other municipalities add language to their ordinance to regulate those occurrences. Becker said that this is a concern of hers since High Point Church has ignored her concern and others and hosted food trucks in the residential subdivision multiple times. The result was increased foot and vehicular traffic, alcohol sales, garbage on her lawn and noise pollution.
2. Noise Pollution - other municipalities have specifically restricted food trucks from using amplified sound devices on their trucks or associated with their trucks. Becker said that at the last event at the church, there was a deejay playing music so loud that she couldn’t enjoy her patio.
3. Defined hours of operation – Becker said she would like to see clearly defined hours of operation and that other municipalities typically limit those to meal times.
Becker asked the board to vote down the ordinance.
Village Clerk Lori Murray Recognition
Mayor Dale Berman read a proclamation in recognition of Lori Murray’s 20 years of service as village clerk for the Village of North Aurora.
TRUSTEE COMMENTS - None
1. Village Board Minutes dated 06/15/2020 and Committee of the Whole Minutes dated 06/15/2020
2. Interim Bills List Dated 06/22/2020 FY ’20 in the Amount of $20,824.31
3. Interim Bills List Dated 06/22/2020 FY ’21in the Amount of $70,812.12
4. Interim Bills List Dated 06/29/2020 FY’ 20 in the Amount of $1,842.00
5. Bills List Dated 07/06/2020 FY ’20 in the Amount of $ 460,243.23
6. Bills List Dated 07/06/2020 FY ’21 in the Amount of $ 393,828.41
7. Pay Request #5, Final, for Well #8 & 9 Transmission Mains to Patnick Construction, Inc. in the Amount of $49,850.30
8. Pay Request #6, Partial, for Well #8 & 9 Electrical Facilities to Frank Marshall Electric in the Amount of $93,286.95
9. Payment Request #1 for Elm Avenue and Maple Avenue Water Main Improvements to J.S. Construction in the Amount of $207,769.05
10. Payment Request #1 for 2020 Street Improvement Project to Geneva Construction in the Amount of $215,238.97
Motion for approval made by Trustee Gaffino and seconded by Trustee Lowery. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Gaffino – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
1. Approval of Ordinance Amending Section 12.20.050 Of The North Aurora Municipal Code
Regarding Action On Right of Way Permit Applications
Motion for approval made by Trustee Carroll and seconded by Trustee Guethle. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes, Trustee Martinez –yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Gaffino – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
2. Approval of a Master Lease Agreement for Small Cell Facilities
Motion for approval made by Trustee Curtis and seconded by Trustee Gaffino. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Curtis - yes, Trustee Gaffino – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
3. Approval of Ordinance Amending Chapter 5.35 of the North Aurora Municipal Code
Regulating Mobile Food Vending in the Village Of North Aurora
Mayor Berman pulled this item from the agenda.
4. Approval of Special Events Permit for Raimondo’s Pizza
Motion for approval made by Trustee Curtis and seconded by Trustee Guethle. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Gaffino – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, trustee Guethle – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
OLD BUSINESS - None
VILLAGE PRESIDENT - None
COMMITTEE REPORTS - None
TRUSTEES COMMENTS - None
ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT - None
ATTORNEY’S REPORT - None
VILLAGE DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Finance – None
2. Community Development – None
3. Police – None
4. Public Works – None
EXECUTIVE SESSION - None
Motion to adjourn made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Lowery. All in favor. Motion approved.
Lori J. Murray