Operations Committee Minutes
VILLAGE OF NORTH AURORA
OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
FEBRUARY 3, 2020
CALL TO ORDER
Trustee Mark Guethle called the meeting to order.
In attendance: Trustee Mark Guethle, Mayor Dale Berman, Trustee Mark Carroll, Village Administrator Steve Bosco, Finance Director Bill Hannah, Public Works Director John Laskowski, Police Chief David Fisher and Trustee Laura Curtis.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS – None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. Approval of the Operations Committee Minutes dated November 4, 2019
Motion for approval made by Trustee Carroll and seconded by Mayor Berman. All in favor. Motion approved.
1. Business License Certificates
The plan is to eliminate the need of a paper copy and instead create an electronic database. Trustee Carroll said this is a great idea. Carroll asked if there is a way on the application for registration to ask if they would consent to receiving it by electronic means and get an email address. Village Administrator Steve Bosco said that would be possible.
(Trustee Curtis arrived)
Trustee Carroll asked if there are other areas where we can eliminate paper copies. Bosco said that every business receives a paper copy. The village does want certificates for businesses selling tobacco and liquor to be displayed, however.
2. Budget Amendment for Fiscal Year 2019-20
-Creation of a Full-Time Engineering Position - The estimated annual cost of the position is about
$120,000 +/- including benefits but would range based on actual hiring salary.
- Transfer of up to $750,000 from the General Fund to the Capital Projects Fund - Based on the positive fiscal results of the Village’s General Fund last year and the estimated variances of several hundred thousand dollars in the current fiscal year, the proposed budget would authorize a transfer of up to $750,000 in order to fund future capital projects.
- Purchase of Replacement Truck for Water Superintendent - The current truck used by the Water Superintendent has undergone several breakdowns over the last year and has become unreliable for its current intended use. The current truck is a 2007 Chevy Silverado and it is recommended that a truck of similar make and model be purchased. The estimated cost including plow attachments and other accessories (estimated high) is $45,000. The current truck would be repurposed for a less-intensive use for use by the Public Works administration, replacing an old police Crown Victoria
- Police Dispatch Services - The Village pays the City of Aurora annually for the cost of providing police dispatch services. For calendar years 2012 through 2017 this proportionate cost that the Village has annually paid to the City of Aurora has varied from $136,106 to $156,660 annually. For calendar 2018, the recent invoice received by the Village was for $238,213. Typically the Village budgets $160,000 a year. The budget amendment for the current year would reflect an increase of $80,000 from $160,000 to $240,000
- Police Pension Fund – the North Aurora Police Pension Fund received a request from an officer to transfer the value of their service time with the Village of North Aurora to another community/police pension fund. The total years of service that were transferred was originally 18, and this included the officer’s contributions, related Village contributions and interest. The resulting transfer to the other pension fund was $582,390.
OLD BUSINESS - None
OTHER INFORMATION -None
TRUSTEE COMMENTS - None
Motion to adjourn made by Trustee Carroll and seconded by Trustee Guethle. All in favor. Motion approved.
Lori J. Murray