Village Board Minutes
VILLAGE OF NORTH AURORA
VILLAGE BOARD MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 20, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
Mayor Berman called the meeting to order.
SILENT PRAYER – MEDITATION – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
In attendance: Mayor Dale Berman, Trustee Mark Gaffino, Trustee Mike Lowery, Trustee Laura Curtis, Trustee Mark Carroll, Trustee Tao Martinez, Trustee Mark Guethle, Village Clerk Lori Murray.
Staff in attendance: Village Administrator Steve Bosco, Finance Director Bill Hannah, Community & Economic Development Director Mike Toth, Public Works Director John Laskowski, Village Attorney Kevin Drendel.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS – None
TRUSTEE COMMENTS – None
1. Village Board Minutes dated 11/06/2017; Committee of the Whole Minutes dated 11/06/2017
2. Interim Bill List dated 11/08/2017 in the Amount of $131,015.12
3. Interim Bill List dated 11/15/2017 in the Amount of $58,029.37
4. Resolution Acknowledging Substantial Completion Triggering the one-year Maintenance Period and Reduction of Bond for the Erosion Control Work, Mass Grading, Storm, Sewer and Water Main Improvements – Liberty Illinois LP
5. Plat of Easement for Drainage on Lot 6 Liberty Business Center
6. Bills List dated 11/20/2017 in the Amount of $100,005.41
Motion for approval made by Trustee Gaffino and seconded by Trustee Lowery. Roll Call Vote: Trustee Gaffino – yes, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Curtis – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Guethle – yes. Motion approved (6-0).
1. Approval of a Resolution Approving the Seventh Amendment to the
Intergovernmental Cooperation Agreement between the Village of North Aurora and the Aurora Area Convention and Visitors Bureau
Motion for approval made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Lowery.
Trustee Curtis questioned the need for a 5-year agreement. Curtis also noted that she still has an issue with giving money to an entity and would rather see the money go toward North Aurora Days or the Silo project.
Mayor Berman said the money does not come from our tax dollars. It comes from the people who stay at our hotels. Berman added that State Statute requires those tax dollars be used for promoting tourism; to promote the Village of North Aurora and bring people to stay at our hotels. Curtis said that this is giving an unfair advantage to other businesses. It does not promote real estate or restaurants. Curtis asked why the Village should even have the tax. Mayor Berman said that in 1987, several communities came together to form the AACVB. These communities wanted to promote tourism. A hotel tax would provide the means for the Village to promote tourism through the Aurora Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Roll Call Vote: Trustee Guethle – yes, Trustee Martinez – yes, Trustee Carroll – yes, Trustee Curtis – no, Trustee Lowery – yes, Trustee Gaffino – yes. Motion approved (5-1).
OLD BUSINESS – None
VILLAGE PRESIDENT REPORT – None
COMMITTEE REPORTS – None
TRUSTEES’ COMMENTS - None
ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – None
ATTORNEY’S REPORT – None
FIRE DISTRICT REPORT - None
VILLAGE DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Finance – None
2. Community Development – None
3. Police – None
4. Public Works - None
EXECUTIVE SESSION – None
Motion to adjourn made by Trustee Guethle and seconded by Trustee Gaffino. All in favor. Motion approved.
Lori J. Murray